This beautiful church was built by the Russian community of Florence which played a signficant role in the development and history of the city. It is officially called the Orthodox Russian church of the Nativity of Christ and Saint Nicholas in Florence.
The church was built between 1899 and 1903 by the talented Russian architect Michail Préobraženskij. It has five onion-shaped domes and houses tall figures of Orthodox saints that stand among the colored mural paintings and byzantine icons.
It is possible to visit the church by appoitment. Call Padre Georgij Blatinskij at +39 055-490148 for more information.
Here are some photos from a Christening ceremony in the church from November 2010.