Santo Spirito Organic Market
There is a fantastic organic food (and more - like wine, textiles, and hand made arts and crafts) market on the third Sunday of every month in Piazza Santo Spirito.
- The market takes place on the third Sunday of each month
- The market is open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Arrive early if you want to avoid crowds
- Bring euros, as many vendors may not accept credit cards
At Le fierucoline di piazza Santo Spirito, you can find a wide variety of goods, including:
- Fresh fruits, vegetables, and other produce
- Handmade cheeses, breads, and pastries
- Local wines and olive oils
- Artisanal soaps, cosmetics, and jewelry
- Handmade and vintage clothing and accessories
- Home décor and other unique items
In addition to the vendors, the market often features some live music, cooking demonstrations, and other special events.
This market is a great place to experience the authentic side of Florence. It is a great place to meet local producers and artisans, learn about their products, and maybe practice your Italian - but don't worry, most vendors speak enough English to take you money :)
Most of these photos are from the Sunday before Christmas in 2011, but even if some of the vendors have changed, the lively and friendly spirit of the market is the same. I have focussed on the food in the photos, but there are plenty of other things in this market like handmade sandals, amazing woolen wear, housewares, vintage clothing, etc. I have a scarf that was made from organic sheep's wool and woven on an antique loom that I bought at this market. It must be approaching 20 years old and I still wear it every winter!
Here is a little video of a smaller market in Piazza Santa Spirito - not the full fierucoline mentioned above - but you can still get a feel for the types of vegetables and fruits available:
And of course the location is Piazza Santo Spirito:
Below is information specific to La Fierucola, the organization that runs this specific market: